Getting to know a new class in March

I have been moved to a new classroom with four year olds.  Not only do they need to get to know a new teacher, but I have to get to know them very quickly before our next assessments are due and the end of the year comes.  (our end of the year is May 8)  Needless to say, I have very little time to get to know everything about each child and the way they learn.
Every class loves Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.  And there are some great ideas on how to extend the book out there.  This is the one I chose to help me introduce myself to the kids and introduce the kids to me.  I found this wonderful Chicka, Chicka class book worksheet at Teachers pay teachers for free by Lidia Barbosa at Kinderlatino.com   I used the cover page that Lidia Barbosa so nicely gave me and let each child make their own coconut tree.

I gave them a brown rectangle to use as the trunk.  Then gave them a piece of green tissue paper to rip into leaves (practicing fine motor skills).  Then I asked each child how many coconuts they wanted on their tree.  I dipped their fingers in brown paint and together we counted the coconuts.  I then gave each child a picture of themselves to glue on the page.

The book turned out great.  They love reading it.  The pictures on the pages make it easy to read and personalizes the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Centers- Number work

Changes, Changes- A book of building and a craft too

Creative Trash