Cutting straws for fine motor

     One of the activities I do at the beginning of the year for introducing scissors and gaining fine motor control is cutting drinking straws.  They are very easy to hold while using scissors.  Children also can't use both hands on the scissors.  We found these colorful striped straws at the Dollar Tree.  I usually put lots of straws in a big tub with 2 or 3 pairs of scissor.  You could give each child a bag to cut the straws into, but I just asked the kids to pick up any straws on the floor.  It was part of the fun.  This time, I gave my daughter an empty baby wipe container to try to contain the mess.  The cut straws tend to fly when cut.   After all the straws are cut, you can have the kids string them for more fine motor practice.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Math Centers- Number work

Changes, Changes- A book of building and a craft too

Creative Trash